Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Why???

Can someone tell me why EFL teachers in Saudi are such an odd group? Are they odd before they come or is it Saudi that does it to them?  I sometimes think it is the place.  Teachers here tend to be isolated; away from family, friends, and everything they know and love.  Then of course there is culture shock which tends to magnify traits that exist in all of us i.e. the evil that lurks within. 
I know of one teacher that was convinced that someone was coming into her apartment when she was not at home and eating her chocolate and using her computer. She was seriously thinking of having surveillance equipment installed.  I heard that this same person thought that a former colleague was casting spells of witchcraft on her.  She said that the woman in the next cubicle was from Jamaica and she could hear her in her office mumbling spells.  I'm not sure how she knew they were spells, but this is what she said. Now, I have known this lady myself or about eight years and have heard her talk about some of these things so I can honestly say that this is true.  Please don’t misunderstand my intention; she is a lovely person, but just a bit off. 
The question remains, why?  How can perfectly good teachers be so…….?


No comments:

Post a Comment