Wednesday, September 7, 2011

The World's Oldest Profession + Saudi Arabia = Imprisonment!

A few years ago a colleague; I will use this term very loosely (LOL-loosely!) here, was convicted and deported for prostitution.  She was basically running a house of ill repute out of her apartment which was paid for by her employer.  Of course she denied the charges, but what she did not realize was that her apartment building was equipped with surveillance cameras which filmed her activities.
I recall that when she first came to Riyadh she was asking where all the parties were and where she could meet men.  Many of the teachers she asked were astonished. "Didn’t she know where she was coming?"

Now we all know that this is the world's oldest profession, but I'm not sure how TESOL became part of it!  Maybe it is part of the lesson….."Remember English only in the classroom!"

2 comments:

  1. I met a teacher from Down Under here in Riyadh who told me its Rs10K to go with her.. I was flabbergasted.

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol they gave me "her" old apartment... there were signs of some odd goings in the place...

    ReplyDelete